Monday, September 30, 2013

Soldier Field Items and postcards











In 2015, I located another stadium figurine that did not have,  Now, it too, has been added.
















One of those brilliant ideas of mine...mini collections....For some reason I started collecting Soldier Field postcards.  Initially, I was trying to find just the older ones.  My cards go back to 1922, which was the completion of construction years.  It was not named Soldier Field until 1925.  It was called Grant Park Municipal Stadium, or something like that.  Anyway, post cards were not enough for me, so I went on a rampage to acquire ANY Soldier Field item that I believed to be "interesting".



The renaming of the Stadium happened on Armistice Day, November 11, 1925.  I have obtained the original program from that day, which I deem to be a prize of my entire Chicago Bears collection.



















































I purchased a trinket box that would seem to date back to the early 1920's.  It is metal on the outside with a wood bottom and a wood lined interior.  It has a made in Germany label. Initially I was concerned that it might have been a generic-type box that someone just inserted a post card of their choice inside, but upon close examination it appears to have a non-removable photo.





















Chicago was the site of the World's Fair in 1933 and I found a metal souvenir tray, approximately 3"x7".  It has an etching of the stadium.
















Now, to the postcards:
Many of the postcards from the 1920's and 1930's were made of linen.  Pictured below you will see that several of the seem to be the same.  They are not.  Each one has a minor difference if you look closely.  Trust me, I saw these cards and had to discern whether I already had one.  I guess this was the early days of variations, a term used widely with today's collectors.



 Here are some more from my collection, including some of the new Stadium that opened in 2001.


























I also have a booklet of 15 different postcards, which you can tear off and mail (not going to happen).















As I mentioned earlier, I collect anything Soldier Field related.  As you can see from the very first picture, I have many other items.  These are just things I am adding as an update.  Chicago created a souvenir deck of playing cards that portray scenic locations in the city.  I purchased the Ace of Spades, which was Soldier Field.












Update 2014: added some more post cards















Update 2015....more post cards :)





























few more items are a 1982 Budweiser stein that shows the 3 major Stadiums in Chicago at the time...The White Sox Comiskey Park, the Cubs Wrigley Field and Soldier Field.  I also have a 1989 preview trading card from Action Packed that is a neat little hologram.  I have a few Soldier Field "figurines" that depict the stadium and I found another one (which is of the new Stadium) from the 2005 Sports Collector's Guild. And, a pinback.



















Below is an alleged art piece from Ron Edelheiser in 1998.  It measures 9x7x1 inches.  It basically appears to be a photo cut out and mounted on wood.  I like it though.



















I got a real bargain on this Jumbo, 19 inch, 3D lighted display with case. It is from a company called Homefields that makes custom replicas of College and Pro Stadiums. This is the old Soldier Field from 1971 to 2001. Homefields sells it for $269.00. I bought it on Ebay for $35.00! Woot Woot!
http://homefields.com/Pro-Football/Chicago-Bears-Soldier-Field-1971-to-2001

Below is another fairly large wall display that I bought at a kiosk in the mall.  These normally retail at $200.00-$300.  It was a half price, after Christmas sale.
Features a 3D stadium reconstruction of Soldier Field, original artwork in the top left hand corner of each 'face plate,' and a brief listing of stadium facts and characteristics. All StadiumView products have been designed by IDNA Brands and are Made in the USA.

·         Unique 3D Stadium Design
·         Original Hand Drawn Artwork
·         White Birch Wood Constructions
·         Coffee Bean MDF Frame
·         Dimensions: 25.5"w x 19.5"h x 3.5"d


No comments: