Monday, September 30, 2013

Silver Coins (Rounds) and Other Coins


I bought a Walter Payton silver round which is One Troy ounce .999 silver.  I thought it was neat and silver prices were going way up at the time, so I thought it would be a good investment, too.  Naturally I began to come across more Chicago Bears silver rounds, and, well, the rest is history.








1985 NFC Champions
1986 Super Bowl XX Champions


1986 Wide World of Sports
Enameled Art Bar  ( I LOVE this)



1988 Hall of Fame



1989 celebration 70 Seasons


 1994 Environmint



1990 NFL Teams of the 80s Defensive Lineman
                     Dan Hampton



 Highland Mint Rashaan Salaam




Bears Bull
                                                                                                                                                                             



VERY RARELY SEEN!!!
1967
CAVALCADE OF SPORTS SERIES
"RED GRANGE"
Old '17' ~ The Galloping Ghost
Illinois vs Michigan
1924
.85 Ounce .999 Fine Silver Art Round. 
Rarely seen round featuring amazing artwork, beautiful burnished surfaces
with ultra raised relief and excellent strike.
Made by The Metal Arts Co., 
RochesterN.Y.

TERRIFIC COLLECTIBLE-HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER!!!

ART BARS & ROUNDS PRIOR TO 1982 ARE INFINITELY RARER AND MORE VALUABLE THAN LATER VARIETIES DUE TO THE HUGE MELTDOWN OF SO MANY DURING THE EARLY 80’S, AND ARE CONSIDERED MOST SOUGHT AFTERAMONG COLLECTORS & INVESTORS!!!

Information provided by Silver Reserves: http://stores.ebay.com/SILVER-RESERVES?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I bought the following by mistake.  I thought they were regular size silver rounds.  They were "mini" and are even smaller than a dime.

This is a Superstar Doubloon.  Don't ask me why, but it contains Red Grange, Groucho Marx and Lucille Ball.  I told you I like oddball stuff.

Apparently they used to give coins out when you bought liquor.  I have the following, plus a 1979 Pinch whiskey coin.


I have also purchased a 2001 Budweiser coin.  I believe they were only provided in Canada with a purchase of a case of beer.

                                                                    2012 Game Coin


Below is a silly flattened penny depicting a Bear throwing a football.




November - 2013
Picked up a couple more silver rounds of the 85 NFC Champs.  Apparently, the coins are somewhat worn and I bought them cheap.  Hey, .999 silver is .999 silver.  I look at these as collectibles AND investments.

.  
just added a couple of duplicate rounds celebrating 70 years of Bears in 1990, and Ditka's Hall of Fame silver round of 1988

Picked up a few more in 2014....all .999 silver.....a colorized version, a Highland Mint George Halas and a 1993 Hall Of Fame coin of Sir Walter.  I have been looking for this for awhile at a good price.





Oh, and this one:
 
Franklin Mint put out a Hall of Fame Series in 1972. 
These below are from some old time Bears.  The coins are about the size of a watch battery, very small, yet still worth $8-$15 each.


I recently came across a coin that had the following description followed by a prospective purchaser questions and seller's response:

You are Bidding on a 24k gold medal of super bowl 20. one side shows the two teams playing and the other shows a hi light from the game. medal is 3inches and weighs 2.0 oz. will ship free to us addresses



Q: 
Hello: 1- What is the diameter of the piece? 2- How is the "24 kt." confirmed? 3- Manufacturer? Thank you for your time.
Feb-05-15
A: 
Hello...back in the 80's a company called "The Excelsior Collection Inc released these medals thru mail order. They were available in three varieties, bronze,.999 pure silver and 24k gold plated bronze, of which this one is. The medal is 2 inches in diameter.....thanks

Oh, by the way, I bought it for $21.00 because it is a unique piece.  This is what my research tells me.  These were made for all of the Super Bowls as far as I know, and proceeds were provided to The Children's Miracle Network.

AWESOME VINTAGE SUPER BOWL XX CHILDREN'S MIRACLE NETWORK LIMITED EDITION FINE BRONZE. STRUCK TO CREATE A FROSTED IMAGE ON A MIRROR LIKE BACKGROUND. 1 7/8" IN DIAMETER AND IT APPEARS TO BE 3 /16" THICK. IT IS USUALLY ENCASED IN SOLID HEAVY DUTY LUCITE HOLDER HOUSED IN  ITS OWN DISPLAY BOX AND COMES WITH COA THAT HAS THE BEARS HELMET LOGO ON ONE SIDE. TOUGH TO FIND (I do not have the holder, box or COA). ON THE FRONT IS DUELING HELMETS WITH THE SUPER BOWL TROPHY. THE BACK FEATURES THE SUPER BOWL LOGO AND A NICE OUTLAYED DEPICTION OF THREE CHICAGO BEARS TACKLING A PATRIOT ( upon close examination these are actual players.  The Bear Players are Richard Dent95, William Perry72 and Otis Wilson55 tackling #32 of the Pats, Craig James.

Here is an example of a similar Pittsburgh Steelers coin and their COA.







1949 Kingsbury coin with the Bears schedule.
 The guy that sold me the silver round below said it was the 1996 Division Champs,
The Chicago Bears,  Upon closer examination, it appears I bought a Green Bay Packer's
coin.  Oops, I kept it anyway.


















 1st Fan Convention in Chicago (yes, I was there)












1 comment:

R. B. Arbetman said...

I've been looking for the 1985 Super Bowl Coin. I thought I bought one but have not found it yet.

I have the 1985 NFC Championship coin, but carried it for years before putting it in a coin protector.

Any idea of where I can find the 1985 Super Bowl coin?

Regards,

rbarbetman@yahoo.com