Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Good Start For 2008



I picked up a few things early in 2008 that I consider gems that rank somewhere in my top 25 collectibles (for now). I am more and more surprised every day that I never owned some of these things when I was a kid. The 60's are bringing me more and more collectibles than I was ever aware of...like this Horsman Doll. Horsman had a big impact in the history of doll manufacturing. The company actually started in 1865 and changed ownership twice during it's storied time. The Cabbage Patch Doll craze of the 80's about shut them down. Some time in the late 50's or early 60's the Horsman Company began producing 'soft vinyl' faced dolls. Each doll series was recognized by a specific "mold number", and it's not really a Horsman original unless this mold number and the Horsman name is present on the doll....usually on the back, or back of the neck. The doll that I bought is punched with mold number 30 and appears to have a date of 1967 on it. It is one of the more unique dolls that the company made, for it is also a wind up doll. It shakes and shimmies. My research tells me that this doll was named Scrambling Quarterback. These dolls were made for most NFL teams and the figure wears team colors and has a team decal on the helmet. I have seen a price of $250 on these as a collectible. I paid a fair amount, but not nearly that much. Also, I do not have the original box.


I also bought a late sixties transistor radio, BRAND NEW in the box. It is made by Sports Radios, Inc. and has the Bear logo on the front. It is called a "Sports Radio Transistor 9", because it operates with a 9 volt batter...not too original, LOL. This radio is somewhat unique in that you can actually program your favorite channel and you can flip back to it at any time using the switch...pretty fancy for the times.
Photobucket

.
It should be apparent that I really enjoy old Chicago Bear toys and Bear figures. I recently acquired a 1989 hand puppet from the Skore Company. It has a vinyl face with a Chicago Bears helmet and is dressed in an oversized shirt with a bearhead logo. There is a mechanical operation with the puppet that allows it to project one hand at a time, or both hands simultaneously. It is labeled a "Team Master" and supposedly represents cheering. Cheering? Right. I don't think so. This doll throws long and nasty arm extensions like a boxer and his hands are flexed. Even though they can call it a cheering doll, I am sure I know what the kids did with it. The arms are really quick and I'm sure could put an eye out. LOL. Made for ages 3 and up.

Another interesting little figure I purchased, and I mean little. Supposedly it was a 1974 Jack Concannon electric football figure...hand painted. If you are familiar with the old Tudor Electric Football game, you will know what I am talking about. The figure is stamped Wilton 1974. This intrigued me. Besides the fact that Jack Concannon left the Bears in 1972, and the figures for the electric football games used decals for numbers, it was the "Wilton" name that bothered me. Most figures for the game were stamped 'Made In Hong Kong', and I believe that they had a hole or slot in the base. I finally figured out what it was. It was NOT an electric football player, it was actually a cake topper that was customized. The Wilton Company made these as CAKE TOPPERS! Nonetheless, it is a conversation piece.
PhotobucketPhotobucket


I've added a couple more Urlacher goodies to my collection. I bid on a collector's plate that I thought might be from The Danbury Mint and then found out that it wasn't. I bought it anyway and I am far from disappointed. It's very large (12" diameter)and displays nice images. The back has some German stamping on it, but really doesn't disclose the manufacturer.
I also picked up one of those miniature jerseys that were giveaways from a Burger King Happy Meal. The Ebay scalpers were getting 10-15 bucks for those, so I waited until I could get one for $3.00.

And what's an ongoing collection of Bears stuff without a few more bobbleheads. I purchased a somewhat rare 4" Walter Payton bobble that was made for the 1995 National Sports Collector's Convention in Chicago. I also found the D&J collectible Payton figures, home and away that were authorized by thePayton family and serial #'d to only 3400.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Add to those a 2006 Rex Grossman (currently at a very low price)and a 1995 "Greatest Moments Wheaties box (12 oz.Series 39 C) of Payton and my collection is blogged to date.PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments: